Funding & Budget Transfer Requests
Qualifying Organizations are eligible to request funds from the Incidental Fund Surplus (if there is one) and may also request transfers within their organization's budget. This process involves five steps, the first of which is to complete and submitting a Special Request Form. Please carefully review all instructions before beginning this form.
Eligibility for Surplus and Internal Budget Transfers
ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations, Department-Based Programs funded by the Department Finance Committee, and EMU-Based Programs are eligible to submit Special Requests using the form. The primary purposes of this form include:
- 1. Qualifying organizations (as defined above) may use this form to request additional incidental funds beyond what their organization was allocated during the annual ASUO Budget Process.
- 2. ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations may use this form to request to use funds currently in their budget for a different purpose than originally allocated.
Requests submitted by ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations must be submitted by an officer of the Student Organization, as categorized in your Organization's OrgSync portal. Requests not made by officers will be denied*.
Completion of this form is step ONE of a FIVE-step process:
Complete this form in its entirety and submit to ASUO Finance for review. Should ASUO Finance request that you provide additional information to address insufficient or unclear data, the requestor will be notified by email and must take action to correct the identified issues before this request may be scheduled for a hearing.
Meet with an ASUO Senator to discuss your request [not required for ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations requesting less than $999 or requests for internal budget transfers]. Representatives of the requesting organization may do this before or after the request form has been submitted, however your request will not be scheduled until this meeting occurs.
Departments requesting surplus funds must also meet with a DFC Member. There are two DFC Members who are also Senators; if you meet with either of them, you need only meet once.
Once scheduled, testify regarding your request, alongside other members of your organization, at the date and time the requestor was notified to attend a Senate hearing.
If your request passes Senate, it is subject to the approval or veto of the ASUO President. This may take several days.
If your request passes Senate and is approved by the ASUO President, ASUO Finance will take action within one week.
This 5-step process takes time. Please plan accordingly.
- We suggest that this form be completed no less than THREE weeks in advance of funds being needed (SEVEN weeks for requests funding contracted services).
- Submit this form 5pm on a Friday so that the requestor has Monday to respond to any missing or incomplete data and ensure all required meetings occur by 5pm on Monday. The Senate President will not schedule your request until your form has been accepted AND you have met with the individual(s) as you are required. It is the responsibility of the requesting organization to initiate and document their meeting with a Student Senator.
- Department-Based Programs funded by DFC must meet with a DFC Member before their request may be scheduled by Senate. For requests higher than $999, we strongly suggest that this meeting include either of the two DFC Senators, so that the DFC meeting also satisfies the requirement that you meet with a Senator. Department-Based Programs should contact email@example.com to schedule this meeting.
*Forms will be denied/returned to requestor if:
- Request is for a contracted service which fails to meet contract processing timelines.
- Request is for an expenditure which occurs in a different fiscal year (e.g. before July 1 or after June 30).
- Requested activity/expenditure does not meet allowable use of Incidental Fee or is not allowable under UO policy.
- Request is incomplete or misrepresents organization's account data (e.g. request uses the wrong organization account number).
- Requester has requested Student Organization funding and is not an officer for the requesting Organization.
- Requester contacts ASUO Finance and asks that the request be denied or returned for edits.
An important note about Senate Hearings:
During the academic year, Student Senate meets most Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the Dusty Miller Room of the EMU. Senate does not meet during Finals Week and has the option to meet during Week 10 and the week of Thanksgiving. Please plan accordingly.
The Student Senate President finalizes the Senate Agenda no later than 5pm on Monday, as required by ASUO's governing documents. Only requests which have fulfilled steps one and two, above, may be scheduled at that time. Exceptions will not be made.
Before you begin:
- A separate form should be completed for each event, program, or activity.
- Student Organizations often find it helpful to obtain a copy of their current ledger from ASUO Finance prior to completion; this document identifies the fund balances, account codes, and line items information required for accuracy. Doing so may save you time addressing corrections or requests for missing data later. Officers may obtain a copy at ASUO Finance during business hours or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any requests which result in surplus allocations to ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations must be spent prior to June 30, in accordance with fiscal year-end policies.
- For general questions about the special request process, accessing or completing the form, or to inquire about the status of your request, please drop by ASUO Finance during business hours or contact the Controllers at email@example.com or 541-346-0626.
- For questions related to the Senate hearing schedule or the result of the hearing, please contact the Student Senate President at firstname.lastname@example.org.